* Bachelor of Architecture Degree -- June, 1965
* University of California, Berkeley
Licensed Architect in the States of California and in the District of Columbia.
I am a sole practitioner with an architectural office in San Bruno CA. I design and administer commericial projects as well as renovations of existing single-family residences.
I have a personal interest in the process of adapting existing buildings for new uses. To me, breathing new life into an existing buildings is an exciting and responsible opportunity appropriate to this era of energy and resource conservation.
My work includes seismic evaluations of existing buildings and managing projects to strengthen existing commercial and residential buildings against earthquake forces.
I maintain an array of consultants and associates to assist with projects needing specialists in landscape design, energy conservation, soils evaluation, civil engineering and land surveying, roofing and waterproofing consultation, and structural, mechanical or electrical engineering.
My residential design work pays special attention to the issues of aging to minimize and probably, avoid architectural barrier for residents' current or future physical disabilities.
My practice is fully computerized. I use "ArchiCAD" by Graphisoft to generate drawings as well as word processing, spreadsheet and PDF generating programs. I also use "Sketch-Up" by Google and several structural engineering programs to perform gravity load and seismic resistance calculations.
- * The American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- * International Conference of Building Officials (ICBO)
- * Certified Green Builder ("Build It Green")
- 2002-2012 Board of Directos, HIP Housing, San Mateo, CA
- 1999-2012 Regulatory and Enforcement Committee of the California Architects Board
- 2009 Safety Assessment Inspector, Glenview Fire Area, San Bruno CA
- 1993-2012 Member, San Bruno Chamber of Commerce
- 1996-2012 Member, Rotary Club of San Bruno
- 1994 Coordinator for Deployment of Damage Assessment Inspectors to the site of the Northridge, CA Earthquake
- 1991-08 Instructor, California Office of Emergency Services Training Seminars for Earthquake Damage Assessment Inspectors
- 1989 Volunteer Loma Prieta Earthquake Damage Assessment Inspector, City of Oakland
- 1985-91 City of San Bruno Planning Commission
- 1990-91 Director, California Council, AIA
- 1985 President, San Mateo County Chapter, The American Institute of Architects
- 1998 American Institute of Architects College of Fellows
"He rallied California architects to post-disaster volunteer service in a professional career intensely committed to the health, safety, and well being of his fellow citizens." Statement by the AIA Jury of Fellows at the 1998 Investiture Ceremony held at St. Mary's Cathedral, San Francisco.
Membership in the College of Fellows is a lifetime honor bestowed by the American Institute of Architects to recognize an architect's special accomplishments in his or her professional life. The College numbers approximately 2,500 architects nationwide.
- 1994 Presidential Citation, AIA/California Council
For leadership in the Council's joint program with the Governor's Office of Emergency Services to train design professionals as volunteer building safety assessment volunteers and to mobilize them to the scene of disastrous earthquakes.
- * Several courses in sustainable ("Green") building practices including photovoltaic system design and design for daylighting.
- * Duties of a planning commissioner
- * Seismic strengthening and rehabilitation of existing buildings.
- * Earthquake engineering and damage assessment